Thursday, December 30, 2010

She's Gone (to a new) Country



Day two in the village and I'm still kickin' :) Actually, I really like the peaceful, slow pace of the village. I've always loved living in the country, and this is certainly the country – just a little different than I've always envisioned it.

Some of the highlights from today:

I learned my first three words in the language I will be speaking. First word learned today was coffee or Cawa (sp?). This is a very important word to learn since they drink lots of it here! Second word I learned was one of their words for God - Goshta (sp?). I would say that this is also an important word to know :) My third word learned after my third cup of much needed coffee for the day was akdulen, which means “of the finest quality,” as in, “that cawa was akdulen.”

A surprising highlight of the day was found in the food I ate for lunch. I had lamb tibs, which is lamb fried with onions, pepper, and egg and it was yummy! No more injera for me - this stuff was good :) As it turns out, they cook much of their food with lots of butter – so much for losing weight! My appetite has certainly been good since I've been here. Good thing I get to wear elastic waist skirts, huh?

Not only is the coffee here good, but it is also cheap! The four of us drank a cup at a restaurant named Dallas (yes, Dallas) and our total bill was less than 60 cent! Coffee here would be called espresso at home and it is very strong and served in espresso size cups. We ordered macchiatos which as far as I could tell was espresso with cream and sugar. It would rival anything ordered at Starbucks, and at 15 cent each, I think they've got Starbucks beat!

I also got to use my first “squatty potty” in country today. We had the opportunity at training to use the one available, but I somehow managed to evade that opportunity :) No more evasion here. Nothing but two spots for your feet and looking down into a concrete hole (and those are considered nice ones). I hear that there is a skill to this, but not sure I have managed it just yet. Although most would consider me to be a “country” girl, I really never did pride myself on going to the bathroom outside....thankfully. I am sure I will learn the tactics quickly and will be a pro at it in no time – not that I really have a choice either way :)

I took more pictures of the grass huts and what I like to refer to as an “African hayfield.” I would post them, but the internet is not really cooperating. Hopefully later!

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous of your coffee. :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! So I find it very very interesting that your first word was coffee and I am still laughing about the whole grass skirt and squatty potty stuff! I am SO PROUD of you! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete