Wednesday, December 29, 2010

You won't find this at home people....

Well, I made it! And although I was a little worse for wear - you know ... greasy hair, greasy face, a little stanky :) after 32 hours of traveling (17 of it in the air), I am happy to be here! My supervisors picked me up at the airport and we spent the night in the capitol last night and ran a few errands this morning. Needless to say, I slept like an absolute brick last night, but the coffee I had when I woke up (something this area is known for) was enough to get me kick started for my day!

We ran lots of little errands this morning and then the part that I have so been looking forward to ... we started our drive out to the countryside! It was about a three hour ride out from the capitol, but the view was unbelievable! Basically, the ride was through the foothills and valleys of the mountains with nothing but farmland all around...and y'all know how much I like farmland! So, everywhere you look you have gently rolling hills covered with haystacks (not bales), herds of goats and cattle, and grass huts, not to mention the people walking through the villages carrying bundles of sticks on their backs or riding on a cart pulled by a donkey. I have got to get you guys some pictures of this – maybe tomorrow! To have to stop in the middle of the “highway” for a herd of goats or cattle, sometimes being driven by a child about the age of 5, was not anything unusual. I really just couldn't believe most of the things I saw – it was like what you see in books or watch on TV and it was also beautiful! If I hadn't of known better though, I would have thought I took a step 150 years back in time – things are definitely a little primitive!

We made it to the village in late afternoon, so I didn't see a whole lot of it, but will see more tomorrow. On the way down, I learned tons about the people we will be working with and the work we will be doing, so for all of you that were concerned that I didn't have answers to all of your questions, you can rest easy now. I asked about 2,182 questions today and am glad I waited to be here and see things in context, so I would even know what to ask in the first place!

Hope to be giving more info on the people and the project soon! Thanks for thinking of me and joining me on this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment